Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quiet Spirit


I Peter 3: 1-6
To have a quiet spirit is a thing for which I long. What does it mean? To be peaceful? To be at ease in all situations? To know something is going on and be quiet about it? The Bible calls for a woman to adorn herself with the “unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.”, yet I don’t understand what it is.

The verse says that this very quality is precious, or of great worth to God…okay, this is great- I sit here desiring this thing which is precious to God and I don’t know what it is or how to get it.

I being a loud person am often… okay never, described as a quiet person. So the idea of being quiet is bothersome. Also, when combined with the idea that one needs to be gentle, and I being a bull in the proverbial china shop, I am bothered with this too. So, if the God, who made me to be loud, and a tad bit bullish, treasures a person who is the opposite, then how can we say that God doesn’t make mistakes?

I feel as if God was asking me to be everything but what he made me to be and I didn’t think this was right. God doesn’t do that! After much contemplation, prayer and even a little begging- I can only guess that this thing called a gentle and quiet spirit is a longing to be quiet before the Father God above all and allow Him to change us.

A gentle and quiet person is not necessarily described as these things outwardly. But they are characteristics of her heart; a woman who is constantly seeking quiet at the root of herself to be with the God who made her; a woman who is gentle with those around her- obviously this is a character trait that needs work in my life. I believe one can be who God made her to be and still be chasing with all of their heart the person God desires her to be.

M. Ruth Smith
2003

No comments:

Blog Archive